We deal with each matter individually and will agree with you the most appropriate fee arrangement for the matter.
Please see below our pricing, the service we offer and the staff who handle your case:
- Probate Services & Fees.
As with all of our pricing, we would like to give you transparency and certainty of the costs you incur. The following guide will help you to understand the services and related fees that are applicable when we support you with obtaining probate in uncontested estates where all assets are in the UK.
Applying for the Grant, collecting and distributing the assets
We will handle the full process for you. Typically, we will:
• Identify and liaise with the executors or administrators and beneficiaries
• Identify and value assets
• Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
• Draft a legal oath for you to swear
• Make the application to the Probate Registry on your behalf
• Obtain the Grant of Probate or Administration
• Gather all assets in the estate
• Pay the debts and liabilities
• Prepare estate accounts
• Distribute the assets
How much will this cost?
It is difficult to estimate the cost of a Probate as each estate is different. It often depends on the complexity of your circumstances. We estimate fees of between £800 – £8,500 (excl VAT) for straight forward estates where there is:
• a valid will
• no more than one property
• no more than three bank or building society accounts
• no other intangible assets
• Two to three beneficiaries
• No inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
The exact cost of our fees will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will naturally be higher.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. Disbursements payable in addition to our fees are:
• Probate application fee – £155 (plus £5 for copies)
• Swearing of the oath (per executor) – £7 (if no codicils)
• Bankruptcy searches – £1 per beneficiary
• Post in The London Gazette (protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors) – approximately £150
• Post in a Local Newspaper (also helps to protect against unexpected claims) – approximately £150
Additional potential costs
There are likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information but some examples of situations that increase costs are:
• If there is no will
• If the deceased owned share holdings (stocks and bonds)
• There are foreign assets
• If there is a dispute between beneficiaries or a claim is made against the estate
• If tax affairs are complicated and perhaps negotiations with HMRC are required
• Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate will incur additional fees
How long will the process take?
On average, estates are dealt with within 3-8 months. Complicated estates where the deceased had foreign assets, trust interests, complex tax affairs or when a dispute arises can take a year or longer to administer.
If you have a legal query please contact us and we will provide our detailed fee quote for your consideration.